Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Lately I've been doing copious amounts of reading while awaiting my departure from the good ole US of A.  What have I been reading?  Well, I'm glad you asked...


and



They're both by mystery writer Tana French and, lemme tell ya, this woman is legit.  Both novels feature characters from Dublin's murder squad and geography plays a heavy role in each.  French's haunting descriptions of the Irish countryside make me want to visit Ireland ASAP.  Not to mention that her characters are incredibly real; as in, I would want to be BFF with Cassie Maddox...or possibly date a guy like Detective Ryan.  When it comes to murder mysteries, there's an ever-present threat that the novel will rely on blood and gore to liven up its descriptions or inadvertently create the flat, one-dimensional, hard-ass detective character(s) so prevalent in made-for-TV movies.  Not so with Tana French.  Even if you're not a fan of the genre, read these books now! I'm not quite finished with The Likeness yet, but I cannot wait to finish it!


Cheers, Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment